What are educational marketing videos and why should I be using them?
Educational marketing videos are a fantastic way to engage with people who are interested in your products and services. They may not be ready to make a purchase right now, but by becoming known as the ‘go to expert’ in your industry or sector, you can build trust and credibility which will in turn lead to sales when customers are ready to buy.
What is educational marketing?
“ A different way of marketing that involves sharing of information and education resources for buyers to gain credibility and trust from buyers. Positioning yourself or your company as a go to source of information, and, in time, a go to source to purchase products or services.”
By creating educational marketing video content you can give your audience information and insights into your area of expertise which will benefit them.
Why is educational marketing effective?
Because you step away from your traditional role as a seller or marketer of a company. You act like an educational resource, providing your target audience or buyers with useful information they are looking for and the answers to their questions.
How can I make my educational marketing effective?
Make it free and readily available and ensure it is valuable to your audience
So why are educational marketing videos so effective?
- Reach out to your clients
- Increase your visibility
- Raise your profile
- Builds ‘know, like & trust’
- Offering value rather than selling
- Establish yourself as a voice of authority
Things to remember when creating educational marketing video content
- Avoid selling
- Avoid talking too much
- Be truthful, honest and transparent
- Offer something that is actually valuable
Examples of Educational Marketing Videos
Here at HNE Media Services Limited, we like to practice what we preach. Here are some examples of educational marketing videos which we have produced for our own marketing.
What to do next
- Think about how you can ‘educate’ your target audience – what value could you offer your clients and customers or prospects?
- Are your competitors using this type of marketing?, if they are, can you use educational marketing to differentiate yourself?
- What topics or subject areas could you cover in a series of ‘educational marketing’ videos?
What are the options for creating educational marketing video content?
You essentially have two options, either do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you. There is always the halfway house of filming the content yourself and then passing the footage on for editing by a third party. This can be useful if your time is best spent doing other things for your business which are more valuable than editing videos. For example if you charge a modest hourly fee for your time, or your time is limited, you may want to consider outsourcing the editing of your videos.
Top Tips for going down the DIY route
- Consider attending a training course to learn how to film and edit to a good standard
- Don’t release anything you aren’t happy with
- Plan the video content that you produce in advance, have a day of filming and then release the material over time
- Make sure your ‘educational marketing’ content and any other video content is of a good standard, bad videos can be brand damaging
- Sound quality is really important, viewers of video content will forgive poor or wobbly footage but they must be able to hear you clearly!.
- Invest in a good microphone for best results.
Top Tips for hiring a Professional
- Plan your filming time to maximise your budget, professional video production can be more costly than the DIY route, but if well planned can be cost effective
- Take the advice of the professionals you hire to guide you on the type of content, delivery and best ways to promote and share it – use their experience to benefit you
- If you want to take advantage of more advanced technology and use a ‘green screen’ for example, you would be best consulting a pro to achieve the best result
- Ask the pro for help and advice at the planning stage, chances are they are doing something similar for a different client, albeit in a different sector
We hope you have found this article useful. If you have further questions about the benefits of using educational marketing videos, or you would like to discuss how we can teach you or help you to create video content please click here to contact us
About the author
My name is James and I am the Director of HNE Media Services Limited, a Video Production and Training company based in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire in the East of England. I have been involved in video production for over 13 years and have been working with businesses to help promote their products and services for much of that time. If you need any advice about either the DIY route for producing your own educational marketing videos we are happy to offer advice. We also offer video training courses to teach you the basics of filming and editing. Alternatively we are always willing to offer advice and provide a quote for producing videos for you.
(c) HNE Media Services Limited 2017
01279 883 270